Brotherhood of St. Andrew

BSA logoThe Brotherhood of St. Andrew is an organization within the Anglican Church dedicated to the spread of Christ’s Kingdom among men. It originated in the United States of America in the year 1883 and spread to other territories. It is today an international movement comprised of men and boys who are committed to the three-fold pledge of prayer, study and service for men of all ages. The BSA was introduced into Jamaica in 1896 by the Most Reverend Enos Nuttall, then Archbishop of the West Indies and Bishop of Jamaica.

Service involves direct missionary work as well as the expression of Christian love in practical ways by the implementation of approved projects. Service to the church and community has included prayer meetings, bible study, visitation, conducting services, support and assistance to less fortunate as well as the church.

The Brotherhood of St. Andrew has been instrumental in the establishment of missions, some of which have developed into churches. The Bishop Gibson Home for the Aged, established in 1977, is a joint effort of the BSA along with other organizations within the Church. The BSA is managed by a Council which sees to the overall affairs of the organization and the activities of chapters throughout the island.

Leave a Reply