Live streaming has become a valuable tool in implementing the Great Commission, which is the instruction given by the resurrected Jesus to his disciples. The Great Commission, as recorded in the Bible (Matthew 28:16-20), encourages Christians to make disciples of all nations, baptize them, and teach them to observe all that Jesus commanded.
Here are ways in which live streaming supports the Great Commission:
- Global Reach: It allows churches and Christian organizations to reach a global audience instantly. People from different parts of the world can access sermons, worship Services, and religious lessons in real-time, or later, through archived streams.
- Accessibility: It makes ‘church’ accessible to individuals who may be physically unable to attend in-person Services due to various reasons, such as illness or disability. It also caters to people with busy schedules or those who live in remote areas.
- Interactive Engagement: Live streaming (e.g Zoom meetings) enables two-way communication between leaders and viewers. Viewers can ask questions, seek guidance, and engage in discussions during live broadcasts, fostering a sense of community and connection.
- Archiving: Live streams can be archived and made available for viewing at any time. This allows individuals to revisit Bible Study sessions, sermons, or other content at their convenience, thereby reinforcing the learning process.
- Promotion and Outreach: Live streaming can be a powerful tool for promoting events, missionary work, and outreach initiatives. Churches and organizations can use this medium to share their activities and connect with potential supporters and partners.
- Evangelism: Live streaming can facilitate evangelism by sharing the Good News of Salvation with non-believers and persons who are exploring their faith. Online platforms provide an effective entry point to expose individuals to the teachings of Jesus.
However, while live streaming is a valuable tool, it should complement and not replace the physical gathering of believers in a local church community. Building relationships, providing pastoral care, and fostering spiritual growth often require face-to-face interactions.
Ultimately, whether live streaming or other technology are the chosen tools, the focus in fulfilling the Great Commission must always be to spread the message of love, hope, and redemption found in Jesus Christ and to nurture spiritual growth.
NIGEL ELLIOTT – ST. ANDREW PARISH CHURCH TECHNOLOGY TEAM LEADER